Monday, April 20, 2009

New fears

So far I have been limiting my irrational fears to things involving not being a good host to the furry little critter inhabiting my body. Now that we are getting closer to the end we are moving onto different fears.

First: How exactly is this thing coming out? Riiiiight.
I figured knowledge is power, so I better start reading up on labor and delivery. Knowledge is not power, it is frightening. I had a general idea of what was going to happen, but not such a graphic idea. Pretty sure if I could skip the whole "transition" phase of labor it would be nice. I have no doubt that I will be enjoying the advances in medicine and partaking in an epidural. But then "what if" creeps into my mind. What if it doesn't take? What if everything goes so fast there's no time? What if I actually split in two and can't be put back together?

Second: What am I going to do with this kid once it does come out?
I have a pretty good idea of how to care for babies as I used to babysit a lot, and more recently have been a fairly active participant in my nieces' and nephews' lives. But now I am afraid there is so much I don't know. That stuff someone couldn't know without having the baby live with them day in and day out. What about that stuff? I assume there is a pretty steep learning curve, but what if we don't get it? Does a defenseless child deserve to have bumbling parents that don't know anything? I would like to think any child deserves better than that. Poor little guy. He has no idea what he is in for.

No comments:

Post a Comment