Monday, October 3, 2011

Gaga-less

For quite some time now I have been telling myself Alex will eventually give up his nuk on his own.  I will pause for the collective laughter to die down.

...

I finally faced reality and agreed with Travis that we had to motivate the nuk removal process.  But I didn't want it to be something we took away from him.  I thought it would be an easier transition if Alex was part of the decision to get rid of them.  So we took the advice of cutting the sucky part so it wasn't sucky anymore.  Travis apparently was sick of me dragging my feet and poked holes in one on Tuesday, and then just left it on the table for Alex.  When Alex popped it in his mouth he immediately got a funny look on his face and told me he needed water on his nuk.  So I rinsed it off for him and he put it back in his mouth for a split second and then took it out for inspection.  Travis asked if it was broken and when Alex confirmed it was, the suggestion of throwing it away was presented and quickly accepted.  And that conclusion lasted for a couple of hours until Alex found a different one.

Fast forward to yesterday.  While Travis and Alex were playing outside, I did it.  I cut all of the nuks.  And then I put them on the kitchen counter and waited.  Not gonna lie, I had a little panic attack and had to talk myself through it.  And when I was done, I almost cried.

When Alex asked for his "gaga" I showed him where they were.  One by one he tried each one and threw each one in the garbage once they were determined broken.  And then he asked me for another one.  I let him look through the cabinet they are normally in.  Luckily I was looking with him, because I found two more I didn't know were in there and I was able to stash them away without him noticing.  So as far as he knows, our house contains no gaga's.

So far, it hasn't been too bad.  Each time he asks for one, I remind him the gaga's are all broken.  He asks me to find another one and I tell him we don't have anymore.  And then he tells me Daddy ate it.  I am ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment