Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Alternative picnic

I made mac 'n' cheese last night.  But the yummy homemade kind that my mommy makes.  I added broccoli to try to combat the Velveeta.  When I make this particular recipe I always make a little bit more noodles than will fit in the dish I bake it in.  I looooove the cheese sauce and noodles before they are baked.  It's a little pot of cheesy gooey heaven right there on the stove top.

This little pot of heaven also brings out a trait I am not exactly proud of...I am really really bad at sharing food.  Well, I am really bad at sharing my food.  I am perfectly adept at sharing other people's food, but keep your grubby fork off my plate.  So, when I make mac 'n' cheese we have a problem.  Travis really likes the pre-baked stuff too.  And he wants to eat some too.  He wants to eat MY gooey cheesy heaven.  I really do try my best to not be a snot about it, but every time I find myself quietly eating the gooey mac in hopes he won't notice it is there.  Isn't he lucky to have such a wonderful wife?  And yes, I realize I could just not bake the dish since we like the gooey stuff so much.  But we really like the baked stuff too.  The gooey stuff is just a little treat.

Aaaaanyway, last night Alex saw me eating the gooey stuff.  And he wanted in on the goods. Macaroni is by far Alex's food of choice.  Actually any pasta, not just macaroni.  So, I picked him and we took turns scooping up bites.  But then I remembered he is really heavy, so I told him we were going to sit on the floor and have a kitchen floor mac 'n' cheese picnic.  He looked at me and asked, "It's gonna be fun Mama?"  Ummmm...clearly you do not grasp what is happening.  We are going to sit on the floor with a big ol' pot of gooey mac 'n' cheese...no bowls...no napkins.  Just you, me and this wonderful food of the gods.  Yeah...I am pretty sure it's gonna be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment