Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Counting Down

The time frame we are working with is less than 50 days. That is as long as this kid doesn't decide to be mean and stay in there longer than he is scheduled. Seriously, less than 50 days. 6 weeks. This is pure insanity.

The closer doom's day gets, the more conflicted I feel. On the one hand, I am really looking forward to not being pregnant anymore. I cannot complain as I have had an extremely easy pregnancy. No morning sickness, no a gargantuan weight gain so far, things like that. The only thing that has sucked a ton was the sciatic nerve pain and that is pretty much gone. But I have to say I am really really looking forward to having my body back to myself again. I think I am pretty good at sharing, but I am ready to be done. And I am ready to see what this kid looks like too. The curiosity is driving me nuts.

The flip side of that is that when I am not pregnant anymore, that means I have a baby. A baby that lives outside my body. And is no longer being taken care of by forces of nature. Because really, aside from not eating or drinking certain things, I haven't really had to do much other than let nature take its course. But once this critter comes out, nature gives up most of the control of the reins. Not sure that is nature's smartest move.

The conflicted feelings seem to be finally surfacing for Travis too. He is still very excited, but that whole, "What the hell did we do?" thought has crept into his brain. The more he has to keep the due date in mind when making plans, the more this thought takes over. We have been invited to multiple really fun things that we cannot do because they are too close before or after I am due. We are missing out on a bus trip to a Brewers' game, he is missing out on a guest bartending shift at a fun bar in Milwaukee, Summerfest is most likely a no go, the deck on the house may have to wait a year. Having to decline invitations for things that we want to do slowly chips away at the excited part. I know once we meet this little guy, those things won't seem so important, but for now they do and it is hard to miss out on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment