Monday, June 15, 2009

Birthing Class. Sweet.

Saturday we went to our 6&1/2 hour learn how to push a baby out of your body class. Fun fun fun. The first half of the class was informative, knitted uterus and all.

The relaxation session part was definitely relaxing. More so for Travis though as I had to keep nudging him to stop him from falling asleep. In his defense, we did get there without getting any coffee in him. Altough I haven't had any real coffee in way too long so he can suck it. This part included relaxation techniques I have learned in the past, but anytime you get to lay down with a blanket and pillow and have someone talk you through relaxing, it's nice.

We learned about the physiology and stages of childbirth. Things like how the kid has to move through the pelvis to get out. Lots of twists and turns. And that walking can help him wiggle past the bones by moving the pelvis bones around and shimmying him on through. This part included words like "ripening" and "effacement". Those words do not have fun meanings. I guess it is fun as long as you soley think about the end result. That after all the ripening and effacement and pushing and tearing and uncomfortableness there is a baby. But in reality, there is a whole lot to go through before you get to hold a slimy screaming alien.

While being walked through the stages of childbirth, I was a bit surprised that epidural was the last option mentioned and not talked about very much at all. I didn't really ask anyone in the class what they were planning on doing because I think that is a rather personal choice, but everything we talked about was taught as though we do not have pain medication available. One "tip" the teacher gave us was if we were getting to a point of discomfort that we are wanting pain management medication to have the doctor check us and see where we are at because we might be almost done. Umm, yeah. Don't really care how much longer I have. If I don't want to be in pain anymore, I don't want to be in pain anymore. Bring on the drugs doc.

Then there were the videos. We got to see not only one, but two women give birth. I have to say, once you see such an event, there really isn't a need to see it another time. Pretty sure I am not going to forget what I just saw. I understand that it is an incredibly amazing thing to experience. But not via video. I was impressed that the first woman did the whole thing with no drugs. I think she is insane, but impressive. I will not be that woman.

We do not regret going to the class by any means. I can say the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies had something to do with the whole no regrets thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment