Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Ah Nashville

We did it.  We ran a half marathon.  Did you hear that?  We ran a HALF MARATHON!!!

The first three things I learned about Nashville?  1.  It's hot.  2.  It's humid.  3.  It's gots some hills.  Holy man.

I was all nerves and smiles at the start when the sun was still waking up and it was a little overcast and a lovely 70 degrees.  But then the sun woke up and it was really excited to see all the runners!  I believe it hit 85 before we were done and it was so so so humid.  And I don't know how they managed it, but I swear that entire course was uphill.  It was really hard, but with a little help from Gu, a lot of help from the awesome people at the water/Gatorade stations, and a little walking here and there, I finished.  It took me 2 hours and 36 minutes.  I was shooting for 2:30, but I will gladly take a finish time 6 minutes off my goal.  And they gave me this at the finish line:


I will say, it made me feel so much better on Saturday evening, whilst eavesdropping on a table next to us at dinner, to hear a woman say, "This is my 10th half marathon, and this is the first time I have ever had to walk."  That took the feeling of wussiness due to walking down a couple pegs.

After all the race stuff was over, we got to hang out in Nashville for a couple days.  Ummm, yeah.  Why haven't I gone to Nashville before?!  Every bar on Broadway Street has live music pretty much from open to close.  And there are a lot of bars on Broadway Street.  All the bars and restaurants and lights and music...it's kinda like a mini Honky-Tonk'd Vegas, and I pretty much never wanted to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment