Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Through the Looking Glass

Alex and the little girl that lives next door adore each other.  They play together at least 4 evenings a week and usually once a weekend.  They get so excited when they see each other too.  It's awesome.  Last night, Alex and I were outside and the only thing capable of prying his attention away from trying to squish flies on the garbage can was Harper.  He saw her and immediately lit up like a roman candle, yelled "It's Harper!" and ran out of the gate.  She responded just as excitedly and exclaimed "I here!"  And the playing commenced.  Super duper cute.  Her dad and I hung out with them and chatted about our crazy neighbors while Trav was in and out of the house getting dinner and the grill ready.  Another neighbor stopped by for a bit, and after a while we all resigned to our respective houses.

We ate dinner as a family last night which doesn't happen very often.  We try, but Alex usually has other plans and with all this freaking running I am doing, our evening schedules get a little tricky.  But last night was a success.  All three of us stayed seated at the table for the whole dinner.  And when he was done, Alex climbed up in my lap and sat and ate some Cuties while Travis and I recapped our days.

Last night I felt more like my parents than I think I have ever before.  The whole night felt so much like summer nights when I was a kid, but this time I was seeing it from their point of view.  Or maybe it was that I felt like a grown-up and I am hoping desperately that I am kinda sorta resembling my parents.  Either way, it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment