Monday, February 21, 2011

Some people's kids

I am not a fan of winter. I am really really not a fan of a long of a stretch of time where being outside is miserable and I have a spastic kid to entertain. You can only finger paint so many times. Saturday, Kari and I ventured around town in an effort to satiate the insanity in our children.

We started at the Kids' Expo. Which, aside from a 1 day old cow, was kinda lame. Alex hated all of it except a little bunny and the police dog. He did not want to be put down. Ever. And every time I tried to put him down, his little heels dug deeper into my leg and his death grip on my shirt only increased. So yeah, that was fun. Who doesn't like walking around an expo center with a 30lb weight with legs hanging off their side? We did get this picture of Alex though. I think it really shows how excited he was to be there.


After my clinging little monkey took a nap, the four of us headed to Madtown Twisters for open gym. Now that's what I'm talkin' about! The amount of running, squawking, jumping, bouncing and laughing those two boys engaged in was enough to wear anybody out. Well, anybody other than those two boys. I swear they are like rocket fuel for each other.

While we were there, I was reacquainted with an issue that has been lurking in the shadows since the summer. Other people's kids. Or maybe it's just other people. And their parenting. Or lack there of. And what rotten little brats their lack of parenting produces. There were two kids at the gym that just plain ol' sucked. They were mean, didn't take turns and just misused the equipment in general. They were the kind of kids that you can just see it in their eyes that they're not gonna play nice. And, I know this will be a shocker, in the time we were there neither Kari nor I could figure out what adult either of these kids belonged to. So when these two little jerks were throwing foam blocks at us and our kids, we took it upon ourselves to tell them to stop. I, of course went with the totally appropriate approach of, "Seriously? You're going to just keep throwing those, huh? Nice." And when the one kid wouldn't get out of the way so other kids could run down the trampoline into the foam pit, "Or you could just stand right there in the way" came out of my mouth...Because every kid responds well to sarcasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment