Friday, February 4, 2011

Mind blown

Last night I was trying to come up with a way to get Alex to not go into demon mode when it was time to put on his pajamas. I was failing miserably at making him laugh, so I asked him if we could count his fingers while I put on his diaper and pjs. It was like I had suggested the coolest thing ever. He immediately laid down and put his hand up for me to count. Which was when I realized the fatal flaw in my plan...how am I going to get him dressed when I am counting his fingers? But whatever, he was laying still so the counting began. He was watching me count and as I was grabbing his fourth finger, he plain as day said "four." Like he understands that four comes after 3. I was blown away.

Once again I had no idea if this is a normal thing for a 19 month old torpedo of destruction to be able to do, but Travis and I spent the rest of the night beaming with pride about how smart our son is. And since it's like the blind leading the blind when it comes to parenting in our house, I Googled it. It seems that this is about the time most kids start reciting numbers. Excellante.

It constantly amazes me how much this kid knows. Or any kid his age for that matter. I don't know if it's that I don't want him to grow up so fast or if it's just that I am clueless, but I just do not expect these kinds of things. You should see how happy I get when he puts the blue rectangle in the blue rectangle spot on his puzzle. You would think he solved a quadratic equation based on the amount of excitement and praise that produces.

No comments:

Post a Comment