Monday, July 23, 2012

E.S.P.

At 3:42 this morning, Alex crept up the stairs and all bright eyed told me he wanted to sleep with me.  This has become a very frequent request lately.  Not sure what it's all about, but it usually only comes up at bedtime.  I tell him he can sleep with me on Friday, he agrees, all's good.  Last night's middle of the night request was a new one.

I was too tired to fight it, so I told him we could sleep downstairs on the futon.  After helping him gather all five of his blankets, one pillow pet, one ugly doll, and one stuffed dolphin he has named Caesar, we headed into the spare room.  On my way through the door, I stepped in a puddle of dog pee.  So awesome.  As I furiously cleaned it up, Alex sat on the edge of the bed asking what I was doing, and reminding me that dogs don't pee inside, dogs pee outside, right mom? only people pee inside, and only dogs poop outside, right mom? boys poop inside, boys don't poop outside, right mom?

Finally we lay down, get all of the blankets organized with the correct side up, and I inform him that if he doesn't stop fidgeting and go to sleep he is going back to his bed and I am going back to mine.  And finally, finally, we slept.  For an hour.  After an hour, he was wide-eyed in my face saying he was awake.  No.  No no no nonononononononono.  Go. To. Sleep.  Travis made me get up at 6:40 before he left.  Fine.

Alex was eating watermelon and watching Mickey Mouse while I was getting ready.  Since I am not stupid enough to let him have watermelon in the car, I asked if he wanted me to bring some blueberries for the ride. My question was ignored as Mickey Mouse apparently trumps Mom.  So I stood between him and the tv and asked again while also letting him know ignoring me will lead to no tv.  He looked right at me and said no thank you to the blueberries.  Good good.  I threw a GoGurt in my lunch bag next to his juice just in case that grabbed his fancy.

We get half way to day care and he tells me from the back seat that he wants his blueberries.  I laughed and reminded him he said he didn't want any so I didn't bring them.  Which was of course met with a wail of how he didn't say that and he wanted them now and why didn't I bring any blueberries???  I explained once more why we were on a blueberry free journey, he paused for a second and then said, "But I'm counting on you."

It's hours later and I still haven't been able to figure out a response to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment