Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hoover

Drop offs at day care have not been so good lately.  When I get lucky, his teacher is able to distract him with something in a spot where he can't see me leave.  When I don't get lucky, he screams and cries while clawing at my clothes or the door, if my mad dash to the door before he can reach me is a success.  On those days, I get to hear him screaming MAMAMAMAMAAAAAAAAA all the way out the front door.  Such a good way to start your day.

He did not sleep well last night, and was a bit emotional this morning before we left.  So I was expecting the worst drop off scenario.  Screaming, crying, limp body flailing.  But I found my saving grace.  When we walked in, one of the little girls was playing with the toy vacuum.  Alex immediately said he wanted it.  So we asked the little girl and she agreed that when she was done, he could have a turn.  My kid sat there watching her like a hawk stalking a mouse while she took her turn.  We avoided meltdown when she was prompt with bringing the vacuum to Alex as soon as she was done.  And that kid took off vacuuming every bit of carpet as fast as his little feet would carry him.

So, I went to leave and his teacher said, "Say good-bye to Mom, Alex."  He looked up with a giant smile, waved at me like a maniac and yelled, "Bye Mama!  Have good day!"  And immediately returned to the task at hand.  I think I am going to start bringing a toy vacuum everywhere I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment