Friday, April 22, 2011

Nutball doesn't fall far from the tree

I feel like I am pretty honest with myself, and anyone who stands still long enough, about the fact that Alex can totally be a pill. In fact, I feel like I might be a bit hard on the little guy sometimes. But I do not want to have a jerk kid. I don't want to have the kid that people complain about. I don't want my kid to be the one at the park the other parents hope their kids don't play with. I also have no qualms about using his insanity as a backbone to my only having one kid argument. That being said, I think we are doing an alright job so far. He can be a total shit, but for the most part he is a sweet, funny little kid.

Since I am fully aware of his ability to bring a grown person to their knees, you would think I wouldn't get all weird when someone comments on him being a nutball. You would think. But no. Not the case. When I picked him up this afternoon, the teacher he had today told me he had a great day, but she totally gets why I am not jumping at the opportunity to have another one of him running around. Wouldn't you think I would relish in someone else's understanding? Someone justifying my feelings that it isn't that I am just a wimp, he can be a handful. Nope, not me. I got all defensive. I quickly realized I was overreacting and I really hope I was able to hide my defensive-ness. I just laughed and said that he is definitely 120% boy. I was early picking him up so I got to hang out for a bit. The whole time I found myself mentally picking at everything that teacher did. Because she told me something I already know and quite often bitch about. What the hell?

I suppose it is nothing more than he is my baby. I get to say he is naughty. I get to say he is difficult. Everyone else gets to tell me how charming and sweet and cute and funny he is. The end.

1 comment: