Monday, December 14, 2009

You are getting very sleepy

Since Alex got my cold, his version of sleeping through the night has abruptly ended. So we are back to trying to figure out how to get this accomplished again. As it stands now, he goes to bed around 7, but then wakes up around 2am or so to eat. Based on how much he eats before he goes to bed, I have a very hard time believing he is actually hungry. He has at least 6oz of formula and about three tablespoons of whatever fruit or veggie we are currently smearing on his face. I am thinking it is more out of habit than hunger that he is waking up.

One remedy for this is the Cry It Out method. I am willing to try this, but I really would like a different approach if possible. Not because I think crying it out is bad for him, but because I will not be getting any sleep during that time and that seems awfully counterproductive. So I asked one of the daycare teachers what she did with her three kids. With all three she decreased the amount of the bottle each night. And then when she got down to just a 1oz bottle, she put water in it so it wasn't as yummy. She after that all three of her kids stopped waking up to eat. Interesting. Interesting enough that we are giving it a shot. Tonight, Alex will be down to 4oz.

I was really excited Saturday night when he didn't wake up to eat at all. He slept from 7:30 to 5am. It was glorious. My hopes were sky high. And then at 2am this morning, he took a sledgehammer to the pedestal on which my precious hopes and dreams of a full night's sleep were so delicately placed. 2am, awake and wanting to eat. Oh he got his bottle. Only 4&1/2oz though. I think he got the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment