Monday, December 7, 2009

Sweet Potato Pie

The applesauce experience didn't have me, or Alex for that matter, very excited about the solid food thing. He didn't really seem that interested and it was very apparent that he was on the fence about apples.

So yesterday I tried to make some different food for him. The jury is out on whether you should start with fruits or veggies. Some doctors say if you start with fruits, you will end up with a kid that will only eat fruit. Some say that is totally bunk and as long as you have the kid try different stuff you are fine. So I figured we will go every other during the introduction phase. First a fruit, then a veggie, then a fruit, so on and so forth. So we started with applesauce. I was going to do green beans next to really throw the kid a curve ball, but it turns out I suck at making green beans into a baby-approved form. You want them as a side dish to a great steak? That I can do. Making them into a paste? Epic fail. I'm thinking the fat frozen ones will provide the results I am looking for better than the skinny fresh ones...we shall see.

Not to be defeated, I tried my hand at sweet potatoes. Success! And not that much effort. I will say, a day later, I am still impressed with how much puree comes from one sweet potato. It was amazing. I thought we were going to have sweet potatoes until he is 43. But then I fed it to him. We will not have enough to last through tomorrow at the pace that kid was eating it last night. He was a maniac! The scene between bites was startling. Mouth open immediately after swallowing. Arms flailing. Legs kicking. Eyes wide open and focused on the spoon that isn't getting to his mouth fast enough...Mom, the spoon. Get some of that stuff on it and in my mouth. The spoon! Why isn't it here yet?!?! MOM!!! He looked like a starving baby bird. I swear he was noticeably heavier after eating. No joke. That kid pounded some sweet potato.

I realize that sweet potato has got to be the sweetest of all veggies, but whatever, it doesn't count as a fruit. Maybe we will try green beans (again) next to make sure we aren't cheating the veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment