Thursday, August 20, 2009

Where there is no smoke, there is no fire.

For now, Alex's pack 'n' play is his bed and it is upstairs in our room. We are doing this because, well, I am too lazy to go downstairs every time he needs something throughout the night. Which, by the way, is down to two times a night usually! Anywho, when he gets to the point that he doesn't have to eat twice a night, we will move him downstairs to sleep. But for now, my little reading cove has been taken over and turned into his sleeping quarters.

The point of this? The upstairs in our house is all one big area and we have a smoke detector at the top of the stairs. Which apparently decided we are getting waaaay too much sleep so it randomly went off last night...twice. The first time I ran like a newborn deer on wobbly tired legs over to it and hit the reset button to make it stop screaming at me. And immediately went back to bed thinking, "Hmm...that's odd." The second time, I couldn't get it to stop so I pulled it off the wall and, while frantically pushing the reset button, took it over to Travis because I could not figure out how to disassemble the damn thing to get the battery out. I don't care how he got it to stop, but he got it to stop. It was at the point that I realized we should maybe check out the downstairs to see if, gee, I don't know, THERE IS SOMETHING ON FIRE! There was nothing out of the ordinary downstairs. Nothing burning. Not even a smoldering ember. I hate and loathe that smoke detector. It's only job is to detect smoke. There was not smoke. What the hell was it detecting? It may be detecting my foot stomping on it later today. I wonder if it has an alarm for that.

Anyway, the part of this story that makes me happy is that although Alex obviously woke up both times the over zealous smoke detector went off, he fell back asleep within two minutes, without being picked up and rocked. He didn't even actually cry at all. I was almost crying the stupid thing startled me so much. I'm sure my emotions had nothing to do with lack of sleep...

Now if we can just figure out how to make getting dressed not such a frightening experience, we may be on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment