Tuesday, August 25, 2009

11 Pounds

Our little man has just about doubled in size in just under two months. He is still tiny. I am reminded of this any time anyone new sees him. The first two things they say are:
1. Look at all that hair!
2. He is so tiny!

First of all his hair rules. That should be the exclamation. Don't just look at it. Marvel at it. It is that fantastic. Second he looks huge to me. I looked back at the first picture of him in his car seat and I cannot believe how big he is now. Although he is only 1&1/2 pounds bigger than Trav's cousin's baby. When that baby was born. I cannot imagine getting a baby that big out of my body. My little peanut was plenty to deal with.

The weird thing about those two comments is I have no clue what to say in response. So I just end up smiling, nodding and saying, "Yup." Basically looking like an idiot that can only speak in one syllable words. Or a total bitch. Either way it makes me uncomfortable and I am fairly certain the strangers talking to me aren't sure what to do either. Why can't people just look at him and give me the "I like your baby friend you've got there" smile? I could respond with the "Thanks I like him too" smile and we could both go on our merry ways. I find non-verbal communication much more comfortable when dealing with strangers. Yes, I know I should be nicer as these people are being nice, but I hate not knowing what to say and then I get all flustered and something stupid or inappropriate comes out of my mouth. Although you would think I would be used to that by now.

1 comment: