Thursday, August 27, 2009

Magic, by Kenmore

I forgot how frickin' sweet it is to have a dishwasher. I also didn't realize how much time we were spending standing in front of our kitchen sink. Now when we are done with dinner, the dishes are done in, oh I don't know, 10 minutes. We used to do dishes for about 45 minutes...almost every day. And that was if we were able to tag team it. Which didn't happen very often because of the one who needs attention and will scream without it. Without a team effort attack on the dinner dishes, bottles, pots and pans, it could easily take over an hour to get everything clean. I am sure at some point the newness will wear off and we will no longer be amazed at how quickly the kitchen cleans up, but that point may not be any time soon. It is fantastic.

Now for the magic part. Not that having clean dishes without having to manually wash them isn't magical, because OH MY GOD is it magical. However, dish cleaning is not this dishwasher's only super power. Last night Alex was in one of his "I am pissed that I am a baby" moods and was not shy about expressing said mood. Very loudly. While trying to think of every soothing technique I could, I remembered my wise friend Kari saying something about white noise having a calming effect. So I took the little howler monkey into the kitchen and there we stood. Listening to the dishwasher. And sure as shit, he not only stopped yelling at me, he fell asleep. And we got to watch the Brewers lose again...but at least we got to watch it in peace. Pure magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment