Thursday, April 25, 2013

Lovin it

Alex and I got to hang out with Trevor and Kari last night.  He was so excited when I told him we were going to see Trevor, he had to physically express his happiness while shouting jibberish...good thing he was buckled in.  After that little outburst he told me, "I love Trevor.  Because Trevor's the best."  Gotta admit, he's not real far off in his assessment; Trevor is a pretty cool kid.

The four of us walked to the park and the boys played until Kari and I were frozen.  On the walk home, it was decided a journey to Noodles & Co was in order for dinner.  After some intense hand washing and Hi-Ho Cherry-O playing, we jumped in the truck and headed to our feast.

On the way there, out of nowhere, Alex told Trevor he loved him.  Just a straight up, "Hey Trevor, I love you."  And it was just so innocent and sweet.  It's so awesome that he's still little enough that he hasn't been jaded by, well, life.  In his world, when you love someone or something, you say it.  Because it feels good to say it and it feels good to hear it.

Trevor, on the other hand, has 8 years of wisdom under his belt, so Alex's proclamation of love was a bit surprising.  Trevor took it in stride for the most part, and I assured him that this announcement was not much different from Alex's love for spaghetti that he had shouted from the rooftops earlier.  The kid just likes to express his preferences for things.  Usually in a loud, attention-getting manner.

But it did give me a little bit of the sads that people get so guarded so early in life.  People have such a hard time being vulnerable that we hide a lot of really good feelings sometimes.  Maybe not hide them, but we don't express them to their fullest extent.  We quickly lose the excitement of something or someone making us genuinely happy.  And far too often we just plain ol' don't tell people we love them or think they're cool or that they make us happy.  There's a lot of bullshit in life, and I think we need to hang on to the happy stuff a little tighter.

Are you drowning in the warm fuzzies yet?  I am a little and I LOVE YOU ALL!

3 comments: