Thursday, February 9, 2012

Logic Beats Lazy

At what point in parenthood do you stop being lazy in the current moment, follow your gut, and save yourself some time later?  Last night proved to not be that moment for this sly cat.

Alex was all ready for bed and we were reading stories when he decided his legs weren't cold so he didn't have to wear his pajama pants.  I disagreed.  A struggle ensued.  I won.  When he was doing his best to get his pants off during the struggle, I realized his overnight diaper looked like it may just reach capacity well before morning.  But I was focused on keeping his pants on and was too lazy to add another facet to the battle at hand.  So I convinced myself that it would be fine.

That moment came back to bite me in my sleepy butt at 3:42 this morning when this little sad voice came through the monitor..."Mama?  I all wet."

DAMMIT.  I gambled and lost.  Like really lost.  He was soaked.  His bed was soaked.  Luckily he was still really tired so being undressed, changed, and moved around to strategically locate a blanket under him so he wasn't sleeping on wet sheets didn't phase him.  He did ask to sleep on the couch, but I pretended I didn't hear that request.  Ahhh compassion.

The whole time I was changing him, my stupid brain just kept singing, "I toooooold you soooooooo!"  My brain's a jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment