Friday, January 6, 2012

Take that!

Alex is super old.  It seems like not too long ago, all that came out of his mouth was gibberish.  Not anymore.  Now he not only says Thank you, but waits for a You're Welcome.  And if he doesn't get it, he just keeps repeating Thank you.  It's no longer one word with an extended index finger letting me know what goal we are trying to attain.  Now it's full sentences...and explanations...and descriptions...and requests.

All of this understanding and language and development is great, but it is making bed time an incredibly long process.  Now in addition to making sure he says good-night to Travis and he has all 9 blankets arranged properly on his lap and he has juuuuust the right amount of chocolate in his milk, we still read books, but he wants to "read" along with me.  Two to three times per book.  Which is great, really it is.  But trying to read when someone is attempting to recite along with your words makes it very difficult.  It throws my rhythm all off and I get the words jumbled up.  It's kinda like trying to count 986 pennies with someone yelling random numbers into your ears.  He does the same thing with the songs he requests.  He's got to work on his pitch if we are going to be performing duets.

The one bed time extender that just slayed me happened a couple nights ago.  After all of the reading and singing and light turning off and on and off and on and OFF, DEAR LORD CHILD TURN THE LIGHT OFF OR I WILL SNAP, I finally had him snuggled up in bed.  After I fulfilled his request of "petting" him, I said good night and that I was leaving the room.  And he whined to try to get me to stay and said, "But...I miss you."  And at that point, this kid's grasp of understanding and manipulating me smacked me square in the face.  But don't you worry, I won.  I choked back the tears of love and fought the urge to pick him up and snuggle with him and I didn't crawl into his crib.  I just told him I would see him in the morning and closed the door.  Ha!  Manipulate THAT kiddo!

And yes, I let him have chocolate syrup in his milk.  It's sugar free and he drinks it like it's goin' out of style.  Naysayers can suck it.

No comments:

Post a Comment