Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Kid

Yesterday, Alex officially moved to the big kids' room.  It's not really that big of a deal since he had been spending about half his time over there any way, but still.  He seems to be just fine with the switch.  Me?  Not so much.  I just want him to stay little and never grow up and never be in situations where his feelings might be hurt by mean kids.

This whole feeling is further proof of a bigger problem I have.  Aside from the children that are related to me and the children of close friends, I tend to not like other people's kids.  For the most part, they annoy the hell out of me, which in turn makes me annoyed with the parents, but Alex doesn't have to deal with the parents and I am pretty sure I can handle them.  Alex does have to deal with the sucky kids though.

The suckiness was brought by one 4 year old little girl both today and yesterday.  When we got there yesterday, she immediately informed me Alex was in the wrong room.  I normally don't mind this little girl, so I nicely told her that he used to be in a different room, but starting that morning, he was going to be in their room now.  And I continued that since he was new to the big kids' room it would be really great if she could help him so he understood the rules of that room and could learn how to play with them.  She just looked at me like I was a total idiot and plainly said, "We don't know how to do that."  It took a lot of restraint to not tell her that she best get to figuring that out, but I just smiled and steered Alex toward a bucket of trucks.

So then this morning we get there and Alex walks over to see what the other kids are doing.  And she physically stops him from joining in while saying, "No little Alex, this is our barn."  What I really wanted to do was tell her, "Bitch, please.  You built this "barn," which doesn't have a roof by the way, out of stuff that is here for everyone to play with.  You having a hand in building this roofless barn with chairs for walls, does NOT the Barn Queen make you.  So shelf the 'tude and let my kid play.  He has a masters in fort building by the way."  But you know, her being 30 years my junior and all, I figured I could be the bigger person and just show Alex some new tools they had.

I am not sure I am ready for him to leave the toddler room nest.  You know that nest...the one he ruled with an iron fist and steel teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment