Wednesday, January 11, 2012

How may I direct your call?

I think I might be on the phone too often when Alex is around.  I am mostly referring to time in the car.  He imitates my exact style of conversation when he is pretending to be on the phone.  He likes having his own phone.  Normal kid stuff.  But then yesterday happened.

We were leaving day care at the same time as Ryne and her mom, so we put the back windows down so the kids could wave at each other.  And when I put the window down in my car, a cracksnaplotsofthingsbreaking noise erupted from inside the door.  That lovely noise was followed by a deafening silence when I pushed the button to get the window to go back up.  Sweet.

Ryne's mom helped me wrestle the window back up, I hung my head in driving a jalopy shame and we left.  I called Travis to let him know so he could call and get the part we needed on order.  He knew exactly what part we needed since he fixed this exact problem in the other door about six months ago.  Yay for having old cars!  While I was waiting for him to answer, Alex just kept pointing out that the window was broken.  Oh yeah, and it won't stay all the way up, so it was sitting open about 3" which just intensified the "It BROKEN" disclaimer from the back seat.

Anywho, I get Trav on the phone, explain the window situation and tell him Alex and I are going to run to Target to get some household stuff.  And a KitKat, but what Travis doesn't know won't hurt him.  All of a sudden Alex says that he wants to talk to Daddy.  I reluctantly handed him the phone with images of him holding the phone in front of his face just staring at it.  I.e., what I have observed every single toddler do, including my own, when handed a phone.  But that is not what happened.  He put the phone up to his ear and said, "Hollow?  Daddy?  Window broken."  And then he continued on and had a full minute phone conversation. It was the sweetest funniest thing he has done in a while.

It must have been obvious how proud I was and how cute I thought he was being, as there were two more requests to talk to Travis.  Super cute each time.  But we went from toddler not understanding how a phone works to 16 year old explaining the inner workings of a car door window to his father.  Slow down honey, Mommy can't keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment