Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Who knew books could work?

I want to find and kiss the author of Hands Are Not for Hitting. But since I believe that to be a fruitless endeavor, I am going to monetarily kiss the author by also buying Teeth Are Not for Biting.

I bought the hitting book late last week. The book is all about what hands are used for and it repeatedly reminds you that, you got it, hands are not for hitting. I may be jumping the gun here, but I think this book might actually be getting the message through Alex's skull that he shouldn't hit people. I am positive it doesn't hurt that we read the damn thing at least 3 times a night.

Yesterday we went for a walk with his singing toy tow truck. About halfway around the block, Alex was no longer interested in walking. He wanted to play with sticks and ants and mud and poke ants and mud with sticks. I finally got his attention back to the tow truck that we were pulling. It was then he decided the sidewalk was where he wanted to sit down and play with this toy. I disagreed. And so started the struggle between a mother and her noodle-legged toddler.

Finally I scooped him and started toward home...and he started hitting me. I immediately said in a very stern but sad voice, "Alex...hands are not for hitting." And he stopped for a second and then just lightly patted my shoulder while asking "OK Mama?" over and over and over. Yep dude, that IS ok. I will take light shoulder patting over getting smacked anywhere within your tiny little reach, any day.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an awesome development! Also, re your denim post, denim sucks and I hate jeans! But I'm glad that you are looking hot in yours.

    ReplyDelete