Thursday, August 11, 2011

Feelin' good

Lately Alex has wanted nothing to do with changing his clothes and/or diaper. His preferred defense to my attire changing offense? Kicking his feet wildly in the air while writhing around like he is being electrocuted. Fun fun for everyone!

I try really hard to keep my patience. To remind myself he is a 2 year old with little to no control over his emotions. To remember it is not the end of the world and I will eventually prevail. I try really hard and about 40% of the time I succeed. The other 60% is not pretty.

I start off all nice and calm. I hold out for a while, usually until his flailing little feet make contact. Kicks in the leg prompt me to pretend I am very hurt in an effort to conjure up some sympathy and hopefully still legs. But once I catch one to the chest or face, it's game over. I lose it. Just like I lost it this morning. And when I lost it this morning, I yelled. Really loudly and totally in his face. And then I instantly started crying.

I hate that I yell when I get mad. I hate that I get mad as easily as I do. I really don't want Alex to grow up with that. So, I guess I just keep working on it. In the mean time, it's totally ok to ask a 2 year old if they know Mommy loves them even though she yelled, right? 'Cause he totally gets that concept and isn't just sitting there afraid of the crazy lady wiping his ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment