Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sleep, child. SLEEP.

Oh Cry It Out, how much did I not miss thee? A truck load of llamas packed with provisions for a year-long trek in the Andes, that's how much.

I am not exactly sure when this happened, but it needs to stop. Alex was sleeping through the night like a champ. "Was" is the most important word in that sentence. He is no longer. And hasn't been for I think about a week. I am not really sure as it seems all days and nights and all the times in between have blurred into to one big droopy eyed mess.

He now wakes up around 2:30AM or so and won't sleep unless I am holding him. Like literally refuses. I will rock him until he is so asleep he is almost snoring. And when I put him down, the millisecond one hair on his head touches the sheet his face scrunches up, his legs start kicking, and the crying/whining/screaming starts. You would think I am laying him down on a bed of rusty nails.

I think this started when he was sick. I felt bad when he was fussing when he was sick, so I would comfort him...in the holding, snuggling, rocking way. Turns out he likes sleeping like that. Weird right? So even though he isn't sick anymore, he continues to like sleeping while being snuggled and rocked. Not good. The other problem with this is that on week nights, I have been just rocking him for a while because it is shorter than letting him cry. And I like to sleep.

But last night, I decided it needed to stop. So I went down and checked on him..shockingly he was fine. The tornado of kicking feet when I didn't pick him up and instead just covered him up and walked out was craziness. And then he cried. And screamed. And cried. For almost an hour. It sucked.

This time it was ripping my heart out to not go ease his frustration. And then Travis started snoring. So I kicked him. I am not about to feel horrible about my screaming child not only knowing, but also hearing that I am going through it alone. No thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment