Friday, October 30, 2009

The rice cereal adventure has begun. Yesterday was the second attempt. The first attempt was not pretty. I think an equal mix of parental stupidity and infant confusion/hunger was to blame. In the time it took us, two rational adults, to decided if we were going to try rice cereal, how we were going to try rice cereal, how much rice cereal should we try, where should he sit while we try to feed him, and what rice cereal coming out of the mouth catching device we were going to use, Alex was impatient and hungry. Too hungry in fact to be curious enough to try to figure out what the hell we were putting in his mouth. He was not amused. So the bottle came to the rescue. He heaved a heavy sigh letting us know he was content that we finally figured out how to feed him, and drank the bottle dry. At which point Travis said, "I think he would totally take it if we mixed it in his bottle." Really? Ya think? Yeah...not really the point. We need to teach the child how to eat. Travis decided that no, we didn't. The bottle is way to convenient, and he likes it. Pureeing all food is apparently the direction we are headed.

Not giving up, we tried again yesterday. It went a bit better. I think he actually swallowed some of the cereal. Not a lot, but some. He wasn't as hungry as the first attempt, so he had some patience with me. He was willing to try for a little bit. But then he just looked at me with this exasperated look like, "Why won't you just give me my bottle? I'm hungry. I've played your little game. I'm done." So I figured some success was better than no success, and we sat down with a bottle.

Today will be try #3. We'll get this feeding thing figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment