Friday, October 9, 2009

Proved me wrong again.

So yesterday I was all worked up about not doing the right things to help Alex develop mentally and physically like he is supposed to. Then I picked him from daycare.

The daycare teacher asked me how often we do tummy time with him. I sheepishly admitted not very often and then quickly rattled off multiple reasons to justify why she shouldn't be disappointed in me. See yesterday's post for said justification reasons. She looked surprised that we don't do it very often, so I asked why she was wondering. This is what she told me:

"I put him on his tummy and he stayed there for a bit and then he rolled over. So I put him backed on his tummy and he rolled over again, but to the other side. He kept doing it for about 20 minutes!"

Did you see that? HE ROLLED OVER! BOTH WAYS!

My look of shock when she told me this immediately let her know I had not witnessed it so she suggested I put him down on his tummy and see what happens. And sure as shit, after about 32 seconds on his tummy, he rolled right over. He did it with such ease it was like he has been doing this for weeks. Now I know why he is un-swaddled every morning. He is in his crib secretly practicing rolling over.

Obviously I am super happy about this new development. I felt so relieved that he is normal! How silly is that? Like I can't tell that he is normal by our interactions everyday. I mean normal developmentally. This kid has no shot at not being a weirdee with me and his dad and our friends being around. Anyway, I am also having a few conflicting emotions. Shocking, I know.

I am a little sad I wasn't the one to see him roll over for the first time. It kinda drove the point home that he is at daycare a lot and I am going to have to get used to them witnessing a lot of his "firsts". I mean I get to see him do it whenever I am with him, but I didn't get to see the first one.

On the other hand, I am once again elated we found this daycare. It is so nice to know that they aren't just plopping him in a swing all day and stuffing a bottle in his mouth when he is hungry. They actually do stuff with him to help him grow. The Rolling Over Incident isn't the only time I have noticed this. The other day I came to get him and he was sitting up in a Bumbo, just chillin', watching the other baby that was there. We have one, I just haven't busted it out yet. Guess what is getting busted out? It will be nice to not always have him reclined or laying down if I am not holding him. Which I realize means I have to not hold him so much.

Now if they could just figure out how to get him to sleep longer throughout the night. Geez!

1 comment:

  1. Let it go mama! That baby is fine, don't worry about him. Glad your daycare is working out, and that your baby has not been stunted by our behavior...yet.

    ReplyDelete