Thursday, February 12, 2009

I may ask them for a parenting manual

Travis got a voicemail from his brother, who had overheard his son talking to some friends while looking at a scrapbook from his last birthday party. When he got to a picture of Travis and I he said, "These are two of my favorite people. They are going to have a baby soon and I just know they are going to be really good parents and have a really cute baby." He is 10.

I think my heart exploded and came pouring out of my eyes when I heard that. If our child turns out to be half as caring as any one of our nieces or nephews, well that may be reason enough to have a kid.

Our kid more than likely will take after the nephew who packed his ears full of Moonsand, but he's as cute and sweet as little boys come, so I would be more than alright with that!

Truth be told, I am a bit freaked out by the idea that we are going to be responsible for shaping a human's view of the world and how to behave in it. That is just unreal. I mean, Me, the person that can't remember to go to a very good friend's wedding is going to be in charge of a real live person. A person that cannot function on its own. A person that can't move on its own. I mean what if I forget it is in the car? Or leave the house without it? The dog is pretty cool, but without opposable thumbs, I don't think she is going to be very good at making a bottle.

1 comment:

  1. I finally got a chance to catch up on all these posts today... I love that you are doing this!

    On a side note, I have known you for over 23 years... How is it that I never knew you were such a funny writer? Have we not exchanged notes since we came of age? :-)

    ReplyDelete