Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Rockstar!

I was so nervous going to pick up Alex yesterday, I actually called my sister-in-law for a pep talk.  Alex is always an angel for her, so she's totally biased, but she also taught 4 year olds for 14  years, so she's got some knowledge to kick down.  We talked through some stuff and I headed in to the liar of the beast.

They were still outside playing, so I went into his room to grab his shoes and blankets.  And that's when I saw his name on the green light.  Immediately I said outloud, "Huh.  Did they forget to move his name today?"  And then I went outside to find Alex standing very close to the time-out chair and one of his friends was crying.  Very judgingly, I asked Alex why she was crying.  He quickly told me he didn't do it...she fell down, but he didn't do it.  Good good.  And then he smiled like the Cheshire cat and told me he had a rockstar day.  I looked to his teacher for confirmation and she was beaming too.

He apparently had one of his best days yet.  No sassing, no fits, no hitting, no snowball attacks.  She very happily reported that he was a great helper all day...and then she quickly asked if it was ok that she has resorted to bribery.  Ummm....yeah...I've been using bribery since this kid was a baby.  I like to call it positive reinforcement.  It sounds better.  And yes, I don't care if you have to mainline unicorn farts and rainbow candy into this kid.  If it makes his behavior better, have at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment