Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Red! Light!

Yesterday marked the absolute worst day at day care yet.  I feel like I have probably said that before, but this one took the blue ribbon.  He spent the day talking back to his teachers, hitting his classmates, throwing snowballs at his classmates, and the icing on the crap cake day was the 40 minute scream fest he had, including throwing his mat and blankets, because he didn't want to take a nap.

I was so disappointed, embarrassed, angry and confused all at the same time I didn't have a clue how to respond to the report from his teacher.  So, I just thanked her for telling me and for not beating my child throughout the day, and told Alex to get his stuff.  We got in the car and he asked for his snack.  Request denied!  And when he asked why, I had no control over myself and started crying while telling him I couldn't even describe how upset and disappointed I was in his behavior.  So that's awesome.  I don't want him to think he's behavior doesn't effect me, but at the same time, I don't think me crying about it is a good thing either.

I really do not understand why he is acting this way at school.  I'm going to try getting him to go to bed earlier in hopes that he is not getting enough sleep and that is making him act like a bee stung donkey.  Tried the earlier bed time last night, which just resulted in him being in his room for an hour and a half before finally going to sleep at a later time that he normally would.  Yay!  But then today I went to the Google machine and looked over a few articles on changing bed times.  And I realized I did a silly thing.  Why I assumed he would suddenly just be cool with going to be 45 minutes earlier than normal I do not know.  But every article pointed out the bed time should be changed in 15 minute increments and only changed after the child falls asleep within 15-20 mins of lights out.  Who knew?!

Oh, and they are back to using the Red, Yellow and Green light system in his room at day care again.  Wanna guess where I found his name?

No comments:

Post a Comment