Monday, August 13, 2012

The Griswold's

We took a little family road trip to Underwood, MN to visit Travis's grandma.  It's just under an 8 hour drive.  With a 3 year old.  Fun Fun FUN!

As you can see, Alex was not exactly helpful when it came to packing...at least he wasn't peeing in them.


We left after work on Thursday night, so we got all packed up and took off at 7pm.  The plan was that we would drive for a bit, stop to eat something, get back on the road and Alex would sleep the whole way.  And for the first time pretty much ever, our plan totally worked.  He slept the whole way except for waking up once when we switched drivers.

All of this success was after a potty incident.  We were about 45 minutes from home and Alex said he had to pee.  Problem was that the next exit was a good 15 minutes away.  Trav asked if he could hold it and he said yes.  About 10 minutes later he told me he really had to pee.  So I asked Trav to help him pee in an empty milk bottle that was in the car.  Travis looked at me like I was nuts.  And I was like, "Ummm...isn't that kinda one of the handy things about being a boy?"  Trav decided to remind Alex to hold it instead.  Wanna guess what happened?  K, but you only get three guesses, and the first two don't count.  Of course he peed in his car seat.  It took every fiber in my being to not slap Travis the second Alex said, "I peed in my underwear."  And I could not contain myself when Travis had the balls to ask Alex, "What happened buddy?   You said you could hold it."  I just looked at him, called him a bad name and reminded him HE IS THREE, YOU IDIOT.  Whatever, a change of clothes and about 12 thousand paper towels at a gas station and all was fixed.  Onward!

Travis's grandma has every knick-knack ever created displayed throughout her house.  Cool to look at for adults.  Not cool for adults that are trying to wrangle a 38lb bundle of What's this?  He did think this one was pretty cool.  The look is because I asked him if he could fit in there.


Not gonna lie, I was straight up scared for the ride home.  We left at 10:30 in the morning in hopes a movie would keep him awake until lunch and then he would sleep...for, ya know, 6 hours or something.  That plan did not work.  He feel asleep almost instantly, for an hour.  And then he was awake.  For the rest of the trip.  Shockingly, aside from a 10 minute melt down, he was totally fine.  I mean there were a half dozen snap peas launched at me while I was driving and Travis had to try to capture Alex's feet about a zillion times, but other than that it was a pretty good insanely long drive.  But man it's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment