Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Happy Birthday Alex!

I know I have been pissing and moaning about the Terrible 2's a lot lately, and I wholeheartedly believe each and every complaint was justified. But, I am so amazed by and having so much fun with this kid it is next to unbearable.

It seems like each day he does something that shocks the pants right off me. He all of sudden knows how to open the latch on the fence gate. He can't figure out the gate that just pushes open and doesn't have a latch, but he'll get there! He climbed up into his car seat in the truck yesterday, and then helped me click the buckles. He can tell me what he wants, what is upsetting him, or what is funny.

There are a couple things in particular that have cracked me up lately...

If I forget to grab his milk before we sit down before bed, I employ the super pleasant "TRAV!" until Travis comes in to see what we need. The other night, Travis went to the store right before bedtime. Alex asked where Daddy was and I told him. He threw his head toward the door and belted out "TRAV!" I couldn't stop laughing enough to tell him that Travis couldn't hear him.

The other thing that is just killin' me...his favorite song is "Me & Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin. He asks me to sing it at least twice every night. But what really gets me? He sings along. He's terribly off key and clearly doesn't know the words, but he sings along with me for the whole song. He sang along in the car yesterday morning too. It's awesome.

So I guess I am gonna be all cliché and say it. The Terrible 2's are nothing short of just that. Terrible. But the good times that sneak in there in between the tantrums and the screaming and the hitting and the sassing make the terribleness melt away in an instant.

My baby is terribly, spaztically, screamingly, hilariously, sweetly 2 years old now...and I love him so much it actually takes my breath away.

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! <3

    p.s. Nice accented e on "cliché..." wonder who taught you that? ;)

    ReplyDelete