Friday, March 25, 2011

Thank you..but zip it.

Why is it that people think that anyone wants unsolicited advice? Especially about something so personal as child rearing. Now don't me wrong, I seek out advice any chance I can get. I have no idea what I am doing on an hourly basis and pretty much just spend my days hoping I am not screwing this kid up too much. But the key in that idea is that I ask for the advice. When I want it, and from whom I want it. I guess I understand that people mean well, but that doesn't stop my skin from crawling.

When Travis and I are each taking turns switching between scarfing down fish fry and chasing our toddler around a restaurant in a sad attempt to not deal with a meltdown, it is not the time for a regular at that bar to tell me that when he had his first child, his mother always said that it is never too early to start reprimanding. Oh really? Ok. I will be sure to think about that after I decide this is the battle I want to fight...in the middle of a bar/restaurant...that is completely full...full of people that do not want to hear a 21 month human throw an amazing tantrum.

And oh really? Your kid doesn't use a pacifier anymore? Well, that is fantastic for you. But don't you dare ask my kid "what he is doing with that thing in his mouth." You wanna know what he is doing with that thing in his mouth? He is being a kid that isn't quite ready to not have a pacifier. And a kid with parents that are not ready to take it away from him. Shut it.

K, I think I am done being irritated with people's good intentions. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment