Thursday, September 17, 2009

On the floor naked and screaming is a thing of the past

So the last two days Alex has been testing the patience of the lovely people at daycare. He has been, in their words, "pretty fussy." Based on the wild boar-like screaming on display when I walk in the door to pick him up, "pretty fussy" is pretty euphemistic. Both Tuesday and Wednesday when I picked him up he was crying. For no reason whatsoever. Yesterday, one of the teachers was sitting in a rocking chair with him in her arms rocking him and listening to soothing music. What was he doing? Screaming like an insane monkey off its meds. That was pretty close to the same scene on Tuesday when I picked him up, except Tuesday she was pacing/bouncing with him. After those two pick-ups, I was more than a little afraid they would give him to me and change the locks immediately after we walked out the door.

So this morning I got there to drop him off and talked with the teacher telling her some things I try when he is being an inconsolable jerk store. She listened, asked some questions, gave her input, and let me know what she tries with him throughout the day. (We are thinking this is mostly some gas issues coming back, but we shall see.) The following is how the conversation wrapped up:

Me: Well he slept really well last night so hopefully that will help today.
Teacher: Oh good! I am really happy he is sleeping well for you. ***And there was honestly no sarcasm in her voice. She was genuinely happy about that.
Me: I just feel bad for you having to deal with it all day. ***Read: Please don't ask me to never bring this beast child back to your lovely daycare.
Teacher: Oh we are fine. We get to take breaks and we swap duties. I just don't want you to worry about him during the day. I mean, I know you don't know us from a hill of beans, but we just love him and we'll get this figured out.

I quite literally had to stop myself from hugging that woman and never letting go. I cannot explain how good it feels to leave him with people that care about him and are willing to go through the tough times because they know there is a crooked little smile in there somewhere. So, instead of inappropriately showering this woman with unwanted physical displays of affection, I told her how happy I am with the care they provide for my son. I think she understands, but if leg humping would help drive my point home, I am not above it.

No comments:

Post a Comment