Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ahh bonding

How does a child that only knows the taste of formula know exactly when it is time for others to eat delicious food creations? He can't possibly know what he is interrupting. It doesn't seem to matter if he has just eaten, just fallen asleep, just been changed. Without fail, at some point during dinner he looks around and goes, "Yup. I am not happy right now. I will only be happy if I am held by someone trying to eat with one hand. Yes, yes that will make me happy." Maybe he just wants to be part of dinner. It must already be important to him that we eat as a family. He knows that dinner time is when some real bonding and quality time happens.

The other bonding time he seems to find extremely important is the 2am feeding time. Lucky for me, that is the time I get to feed him. We take turns getting up to feed him during sleeping hours, and since Trav gets up so ungodly early for work, he usually takes care of the later feeding at about 5 or 6am. So I get the one smack in the middle of the night. Which is fine. Or I should say would be fine if this kid would go back to sleep after he eats. He will be on the verge of sleeping the entire time he is eating. And then when I swaddle him up and lay him down...BOING! His eyes are wide open. I let him lay there for a while wiggling around making small little piggy grunts. And most times he falls asleep. Eventually. But other times, he takes after the dog. She is not ok with me sleeping if she is awake, why should he be ok with it? He will lay there being cute for a while, but soon he will get bored by himself and cry. I realize at some point I am going to have to let him cry it out and not get up and get him, but that little exercise is going to have to wait until he is not upstairs with us. That and he is still so tiny. And really good at making a sad baby face.

No comments:

Post a Comment