Thursday, September 10, 2009

Oh my cute.

We have a new development that has caused other developments. The starting domino that makes the rest of them fall is this: he can smile...In response to people smiling at him, making faces at him, talking to him. It is the cutest, gummiest, crooked little thing I have ever seen. And he does it A LOT.

This has caused a few things. First, it has turned me into a complete weirdo. I am trying anything I can think of to make this kid smile. I would like to say that I am doing all things goofy because he is obviously happy when he smiles. I would like to say that, but I would be lying. It is totally selfish. It makes me so happy to see him smile. It proves that he actually likes me and kinda thinks I'm funny. Or at least mildly entertaining. 'Cause that's what I should be worried about...my ego. I am an awesome mom. Most people would be happy that their kid is developing mentally. Not me... He finds me amusing?!?! Sweet!

The second thing all these baby smiles have caused is becoming a problem. I am having a really hard time dropping him off at day care in the morning. And I sit at my desk counting down the hours 'til I get to go pick him up. Not exactly the productive worker bee I am supposed to be. I can't help it. He is just so damn cute. He's even smiling in the middle of the night when he wakes up. Talk about having mixed emotions. I am so freaking tired I could cry, and then there he is...beaming at me. And all I want to do is sit up with him and extract all the smiles I can get. It's like I'm an addict. Just one more Alex...just one more to get me through to the morning. Fortunately for my addiction, he is a very generous dealer.

I am excited for all the things he is going to be learning soon. It is waaaay better now that he isn't just a little alien larva staring blankly at me. The funny thing is, as excited as I am for him to learn and interact more, I find myself a little bit sad with every outfit he outgrows. Wouldn't it be nice if I could stick with just one emotion for more than a millisecond? Eh..whatever, what fun would that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment