Friday, July 17, 2009

It really is an art.

We had Alex's two week check up on Monday. I know it is now Friday and I am just getting to it, but the strange lack of time to get anything done is a subject for a different post. He is doing really well. I really like his doctor as well. Everything he is happy with is "beautiful". I thought I liked it when doctors said "average"...Average has nothing on beautiful.

He gained an entire pound and a whole inch! Not bad for 10 days time. His belly button is healing up nicely which is making diaper changing a lot easier. Alex still hates it, but it is easier for me when I am not having to desperately try to not catch clothes or diapers or my fingers on the nasty scabby stump sticking out of his stomach. That and it makes his belly look a lot cuter. The weight gain has pretty much landed in his cheeks. He is getting some meat on his legs and arms too, but his cheeks seem to be sucking up most the nutrients he is ingesting. All the more pinchable and kissable.

The one thing that seems to be an issue is this kid trying to figure out how to poop. The amount of energy it seems to take is unreal. To the point that I asked the doctor about it. He acts like he is more constipated than an old man that skipped his Metamucil, but the product coming out is the proper consistency. Or at least what I am told is the proper consistency. The doctor told me the reason for this struggle is that he actually has to learn how to poo. What muscles to use, how to push, etc. Until he figures it out...poo'ing is a whole body experience. Complete with a bright red face and Olympian body contortions. Hopefully this will be a quick lesson for him.

1 comment:

  1. Not gonna lie, sometimes that whole body experience thing comes back or never goes away. It is not for lack of experience...trust me, I know.

    ReplyDelete