Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What is your damage?!?

Monday and Tuesday were absolutely terrible in the behavior department.  So bad in fact, his teachers have taken to writing things down so I have specific examples of how terrible he is being and can talk to him about his actions.  Monday's report was awful, but included a couple good things and ended with his teacher saying she didn't want this to come off as a list of nightmares, just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.  It was so awful, I was completely floored when Tuesday's report was even worse.

While on Monday he sat and kicked a chair saying "dammit.  dammit.  dammit." over and over during a timeout, Tuesday he just flipped the table over.  Yes, that's right, he overturned a Fisher Price picnic table outside because he was mad that he was in a timeout.  About half way down on Tuesday's report, I saw, "He is playing VERY well", and then the next line was, "I was about to say he was playing very well with his friends, but he just then slapped a child in the face."  Ummm...what?!

After reading those two little gems, I was questioning if I even knew my own child.  I mean, I know he and I have had some epic battles, but this is some escalated behavior.  I haven't noticed him trying to kill small animals yet, so I haven't lost all hope that I'm not raising a sociopath, but damn dude.

She did mention that he was very good during their fire drill.  And ended the list with, "On a good note, he took a great nap today!"  Sweet.  The only two times he was good was while learning how to save his own ass and when he was asleep.  Stellar.

Last night was a rough one.  I sent him straight to his room when we got home.  After a little while he told me he was ready to listen, and I told him that was great but too bad for him because I wasn't ready for him to be out of his room.  And that's when he whine/yelled that it wasn't fair.  Wrong!  Wrong wrong wrong thing to say buddy.  I responded to that by letting him know all the things that actually weren't fair.  Most of all that I was going to take him for ice cream if he had a good day (which he knew), but since he had a bad day, I didn't get ice cream.  That isn't fair.  I also took that opportunity to remind him that he was the one that created this situation.  That he was in his room due only to his actions.  The low point of my lecture was when he apologized and I told him I didn't believe him.  I told him that he keeps apologizing, but he doesn't change his behavior, so I don't believe that he is sorry.  That may have been a bit of overkill.

He shaped up after being in his room for longer than I'm willing to admit.  We had a great night and he was in top form this morning.  He didn't need to be asked more than once to do anything, which was a glorious change from the norm.  He was in a great mood when I dropped him off.

Here's hoping us repeating the Golden Rule over and over and constantly reminding him he needs to be respectful of other people, especially his teachers and adults...here's to hoping it works for today.  I'm just really not sure I can handle three bad reports in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment