Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Big Boy

I realized the other day that Alex is just about 5lbs over the max weight for his car seat.  Whoopsiedoodle!  A new car seat was needed.  So off to Target we went.

We were walking past the shoes when I remembered there was a pair of sandals that I wanted to see if they had my size in stock.  While Alex was suggesting every pair of gold or sparkly sandals, I took off my shoe and sock to try on the plain ol' black pair I was thinking about.  There was a younger couple in the same shoe aisle that were already suspiciously eyeing my child's taste in shoes.  And I'm sure they were even more impressed when I took off my sock only to find my foot and toes were completely covered in dirt from the day before.  Classin' it up all around.

Anywho, we made it over to the car seat aisle and picked out a couple winners.  One is a high back booster because my child is spoiled and the other is just a run of the mill get-the-kid-high-enough-for-a-seat-belt booster seat.  We took our loot to the check-out, Alex signed for me (close enough in the handwriting department), and we headed out to the car.

Now, having two brand new boosters meant there was no way I was getting that child into his current car seat.  And since I didn't feel like opening up the box of the high back one, I just moved his current one out of the way and slapped the basic booster in its place.  He clamoured up and into his seat so fast you'd think I had promised some sort of gigantic KitKat if he made it into his seat in under 4 seconds.  I buckled him up and got in my seat.  And then I turned around.  And I saw that my toddler had been replaced by a giant boy!

Seriously the reduction in restraint material was enough to send me into orbit.  Where there used to be 5 different anchor points, there is now only 3.  Where he used to look like a miniature trainee for Top Gun strapped in for take-off, he now looks like...well...a big boy.  A big boy that uses just the regular ol' seat-belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment