Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The power of waffles

Everything was going great this morning.  Alex got out of bed with minimal coaxing.  I found his elusive blue blankie.  He actually gave me an extra hug for finding said blankie.  Chocolate chip waffle was in the toaster.  But when it was time to leave, the shit hit the fan.  He didn't waaaaaaant to go.  And because he didn't want to go, he couldn't stand up and he couldn't turn off the tv and he couldn't put on his coat.  So, I told him he could either put on his coat and walk to the truck like a big boy, or I would carry him without his coat on.

In between all of that, I maybe got all super duper sarcastic and loudly said "Good morning!  I love it so so SO much when we have mornings like this!  It's my favorite when we argue about leaving!"...because I'm super mature like that.

Anywho, he opted for the no coat, mom carries him option.  Which irritated me beyond belief.  So I grabbed him, crammed his stuffed dolphin Ceasar in his coat sleeve since someone should wear the damn coat, filled my arms with everything else we needed and we left.  Since I wasn't exactly pleased, I didn't slowly accelerate upon leaving the driveway and we slid a little.  My little darling took that opportunity to remind that I needed to be careful because the roads were slippery.  Ya know what little man?  It's freaking cold outside too, but you didn't see me rubbing it in your face when you were all cold from being coat-less, so zip it.

We got about half way to day care without either of us uttering a word.  And then I hear a sweet little voice in the back asking me for his chocolate chip waffle.  The chocolate chip waffle that was still sitting in the toaster at home.  Awesome.  So then crying and begging and pleading for me to turn around to get his waffle began.  Yeah...no.  I wasn't upset about the fact that he didn't get his waffle at all.  But I was super upset that because I lost my patience, he had something concrete to be upset about.  I had promised him a delicious snack and didn't follow through and then refused to fix it.

The fact that I was only upset that he kinda won the war this morning lead to me sitting at my desk almost in tears over the fact that I lost my patience and then was as ass to my kid.  Yay for guilty parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment