Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Snuggle bug

Last night, Alex really wanted to sleep in our bed.  It had been a really long evening including an hour long, yes you read that right, and hour long tantrum over the fact that we took a football away from him.  A football that he was throwing in the house.  A football whose ownership status was going to drastically change if it was thrown one more time.  I'm pretty sure I had lost patience when I blurted out, "Alex Thomas Julius, if you throw it one more time you will never see that football again.  Do you understand me?"  You could still hear the "s" of his yes when he threw it again.  Seriously dude?  I mean, really?!?  Were you not listening?  Or are you really stupid enough to test this and think it's going to end well?  So yeah, he threw it again, we took it away from him forever because I'm an idiot, and the hour long tantrum ensued.  I'm not exaggerating.  I know it was an hour because I was about to start dinner when this happened.

So, I just kept working on dinner with the soundtrack of "I want my football!  I want my football!  I miss my football!  I waaaaaaaant my foooooootbaaaaaaaaalllllllllll!"  Oh!  Before this little episode, Alex had said he wanted to go for a walk.  So I told him to go potty and put his shoes on so we could go.  And then about 7 minutes after that didn't happen, he told me he wanted to go for a walk.  So I repeated my instructions.  Nothin'.  This lovely cycle happened 4 times before I told him sternly that he knew what he had to do if he wanted to go for a walk and only he could make that happen.  We didn't go for a walk and the football thing happened.  So, during his tantrum, "I wanna go for a walk!" was also injected between requests for his beloved football.

Anyway, back to the point.  Alex really wanted to sleep in our bed.  He even promised to not wiggle around.  My energy was tapped, but I was not about to give in on this one, so I made a deal with him.  He had to go to sleep in his bed, but if he woke up during the night or when he woke up in the morning, he could come to our bed.  Deal!  He snuggled up, fell asleep, and stayed that way until about 5 minutes after I woke up this morning.

He came out of his room completely naked, because apparently his bedroom floor is where used UnderJams belong, and all sleepy eyed.  I said good morning and he said, "Mom.  Remember what we were gonna do?"  I couldn't for the life of me figure out what he was talking about so I told him I didn't remember.  "I was gonna come snuggle you."  It took every fiber of my being to not get back in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment