Monday, September 23, 2013

Camping

Alex and I went camping with some of Travis's family this weekend.  We were at Black Hawk Lake Campground, and the opening in the fence where a trail down to the beach area starts was right between the two campsites we had.  Alex asked me what the sign said and when I let him know it said "Trail to beach," he instantly informed me he wanted to go to the beach.

So, we headed out onto the trail.  This trail is not an easy trail to hike down.  Years ago, there was a staircase with a railing leading you down the side of this big ol' hill.  But the staircase wasn't exactly maintained...like at all.  Which leaves a rather tricky trail with random steps here and there.  It's also quite steep and pretty long.  At the very beginning of our trek down, I told Alex he needed to understand it was going to be difficult climbing back up and that I was not going to be able to carry him.  He reassured me and let me know, "Mom, don't worry.  My legs are totally prepared for this."  Oh good; now I feel better.

About half way down, I got him to run off the trail so I could get this shot and it's currently my favorite.  (Aside from the fact that I really wish my phone had a better camera or that I would start carrying my freaking camera with me.)

After this shot, and picking off the burs acquired from running off the trail, we continued on down to the beach.  When we got down there, Alex's aunt found some snail shells that had washed up onto the sand from the lake.  She was wearing capri length pants so she waded in to find some more.  Not shockingly, Alex wanted to walk in the water too.
And this was all good and well until he started running in the water, which of course made enough splashing that his pants got wet.  So I let him take his pants off.  And that was all good and well until he was running and tripped and landed on his hands and knees.  He just looked up, completely pleased and said, "Noooowww my shirt's wet."  We took off his shirt, and I could see his next thought so I instantly told him he had to leave his underwear on.  

So what started like this:

Ended like this:

All of his clothes were soaked as were his shoes.  Luckily, Grandpa J grabbed a towel out of the camper and drove down to the beach to rescue us with a ride back up to the campsite.

No comments:

Post a Comment