Thursday, September 20, 2012

Nutty

My stomach does not do well with milk.  I can get behind some serious cheese consumption, but the more liquid dairy products I have an issue with.  I power through ice cream because, well, it's ice cream.  But yogurt can only be in small doses and one bowl of cereal with milk is a no go.  Seeing as though the fat content outweighs the calcium content when it comes to cheese, I realize that is not a solid option to make sure my bones don't fall apart.

I have tried calcium supplements, but those do a number on my stomach as well...which in turn produces excessive use of air freshener, and we have to think about the ozone people.  I try to eat spinach and broccoli, but if I'm being honest with myself, I'm not getting enough calcium from that either.  So I've decided to give alternative milk a whirl.  First up:  almond milk.

It's the same thickness as skim milk, so it's not like your drinking cream.  I don't know why, but I was taken by surprise by how much it tastes like almonds.  You'd think I would've expected that flavor since it's a product made with almonds and it has almond right in the name.  First part of the name as a matter of fact.  But, I didn't.  I was down right blown away by how much it tastes like liquefied almonds.  I mean, dairy milk doesn't taste like burgers...maybe that's why I didn't expect the almond flavor.

Any way, it's not bad, but I'm not sure I could just sit down with a glass of it.  I found out it's delicious in coffee this morning.  I'm thinkin' it would also be good blended with strawberries and ice...Strawberry  almond milk shake!  Oooo!  Or maybe coffee and almond milk shake....the possibilities are endless.

2 comments: