Wednesday, September 5, 2012

And Forever Begins

While pondering the fact that my child is 3 years old the other day, I came to a frightening realization...Alex is old enough now that he will most likely remember the things that happen on a day to day basis.  Like he will remember them forever.  We are forming life memories here people.

This is insane.  I have been operating the past 3 years with the fantastic safety net of no long term memory.  You can't screw a kid up too bad when he can't remember what the hell happened, right?  I mean, so far, he hasn't been able to tell me what he had for lunch much less remember something from the more distant past.  But now?  Now he will most likely have at least a faint recollection of the things that happen each and every day, when he is like 27.

Suddenly, this extreme pressure to ensure the shit we do every day will make good memories has moved in and it was definitely not invited.  I have a hard enough time coming up with things to do that will mildly entertain him IN THE MOMENT.  But now I have to figure out how to make sure he has good memories of his childhood?  You know, memories other than his mother being in a constant state of crazed pissed off and yelling NO!

I am not expecting his childhood memory piggy bank to be filled with rainbows and kitten farts.  I realize it is ok and the right thing to discipline him.  But is there a way to only have him remember the times when I am Fun Mom?

No comments:

Post a Comment