Tuesday, February 9, 2010

First time for everything

This first is one I could have done without.

This morning I had Alex in his bouncy seat on the kitchen table. All was going great. I was just about to dive into a bowl of corn flakes and bananas. I turned around to put the milk away and heard the worst sound ever imaginable. A thud. And a millisecond later a very high pitched and loud scream. I spun around to see my precious little beast baby in a little ball ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR. Yeah...he fell forward out of his bouncy seat off the kitchen table FACE FIRST onto the floor. How could this happen you ask? Because I suck that's how.

When I put him in the seat on top of the kitchen table, I absentmindedly didn't buckle him in. Because why would that be an issue? He's only about four feet up in the air. Who needs buckles? I even noticed how well he was sitting up in the chair and commended him on it with a, "Look at you sitting up so strong!" Not once did my brilliant inner voice say, "Hey dumbass! Buckle your infant into the seat!...Yeah, the seat that has the buckles and the safety strap, that one, you moron!" Nope. Nothin'. So I let him sit in there without any safety measure whatsoever. In a chair, on the kitchen table. And that chair even has a giant warning on the back of it: To prevent falls DO NOT place chair on an elevated surface. An elevated surface? Like, I don't know...A FUCKING TABLE?!? Maybe I should just put him on top of the TV armoire next time.

My guess is that he must have reached forward for a toy and just kept on a-going. Until splat.
To add injury to injury, his pacifier fell out first and his forehead landed on that. I think that is actually the only part of his face that experienced any impact. But it left a big dark grey dent on the upper left side of his forehead. Which quickly turned into a big bump with a big dark grey dent on the upper left side of his forehead.

Initially I was handling it well. I scooped him up and held him tight telling him everything was going to be ok. I called Travis in from shoveling. But the second I started explaining what had happened to make this kid scream bloody murder, I lost it. So there I am standing in the kitchen, explaining to my husband how much of an ass I am, crying about as hysterically as the child that face planted on the floor. Because that totally helps. Travis handled things much better. Although I did almost kill him when he asked why I didn't buckle him in. Oh gee, I don't know. I thought it would be a good exercise in the laws of gravity.

Once again the daycare teachers proved to be awesome. They assured me they would keep a close eye on him. They also assured me that things like this happen all the time. It's all part of the having a kid thing. While their assurances were very nice and slightly settling, I continuously sought out more...from Kari, my mom, my sisters..pretty much anyone that would listen and tell me although it sucks, it is going to be ok.

And then daycare sent me a picture. Alex in a jumperoo, giant smile on his face...and you can barely see the bump.

No comments:

Post a Comment