Thursday, March 26, 2015

Tool Time!

A neighbor boy came over to play with Alex the other day.  They wanted to "fix" his bikes and dune racer.  Other than our front yard looking like a Toys R Us chop shop, I saw nothing wrong with the planned activities.  Plus, Travis was out in the garage so he was able to keep half an eye on them.

After a while, Travis was done with his project in the garage and was back inside.  I poked my head out to check on the mechanic boys only to find them with Travis's tool bag at their feet, using his POWER DRILL to drill into a tree.  Awesome.

I immediately started toward the boys, loudly saying, "No No No No No" which was met with, "but Dad said we could!"  Obviously, I didn't beleive him and told him as much.  That's when he clarified that they didn't ask to use the bag, but that supposedly Travis had said they could use the drill.  I let them know I didn't believe that for a second, and I took the tools back into the garage.

I went inside and double checked with Travis, juuuuuust in case they were telling the truth:

"Hey...I'm assuming you didn't tell the boys they could use your power drill?"
"Oh, no, yeah I did."
"...wait....wha...You said they could use a power drill....by themselves.  Seriously?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Yeeeeeaaaahhhh if you could not give the 5 and 7 year old children unsupervised use of POWER TOOLS, that'd be great."

I just...I mean...HUH?  How did he possibly think that was an appropriate course of action.  And before you try to justify, I will tell you, yes, there was a bit in it.  It was a screwdriver bit and not a 4" hole saw, but a bit nonetheless.

So not only did I have to scold my husband for making that decision, but then I had to sheepishly apologize to Alex and the neighbor kid for flat out calling them liars.  Fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment