Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Foodie

Sam did alright with the rice cereal last week, so we decided to move on to actual food this week.  First up:  bananas.  (Which, given this child's need for probiotics to be able to poo normally, maybe wasn't a great first choice.)

I brought him to the dinner table with us and smashed up some banana.  Since he has decided that eating from a spoon is super exciting, he got all wiggly when he saw his spoon.  He opened his mouth all huge and I delivered the goods.  The second it hit his tongue, he sat up straight and looked at me with a glimmer in his eye like, "What is the magical compound you are feeding me?  It is de-LICIOUS!"  He swallowed quickly and immediately opened his mouth back up.  He got almost a naughty look, like he thought I didn't know how yummy this gloriousness was, but he for sure wasn't going to tell me.

A quarter of a banana later, he fell asleep in my lap.

When you start to introduce real food, you have to go one at a time to make sure the kid isn't allergic to what you're cramming down their gullet.  Also, usually more sleep comes with real food.  But I will tell you, it is terrifying when your baby that might be allergic to bananas sleeps incredibly soundly for 7&1/2 hours.  So terrifying infact, you get approximately, ummm, oh yeah, ZERO sleep because you are constantly wondering if it's been long enough since the last time you checked on him to warrant another check-in.

Good news!  He's not allergic to bananas!

When I dropped him off this morning, one of our favorite teachers, who has been there since Alex was a baby, was the teacher in his room.  I excitedly told her we tried bananas and I produced the remainder of the banana for her to smash up whenever she felt like feeding it to him.  She smiled and teasingly said, "Oh that's right...you're one of those."  Ribbing me for the fact that I would rather make his food and bring it in, than have them feed him the jarred food that they provide as part of his tuition.  Obvisously, she was joking and likes to tease me since I am pretty much the only one that does or has done that.  But it did make me realize something.  I am totally ok with feeding my infant completely manufactured powdered most likely chemically produced formula, but when it comes to feeding him something that I can actually pronounce all the ingredients all the jar, I get all "only natural foods for any baby of mine!"  We've all got our thing I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment