Wednesday, August 27, 2014

We'll blame the sleepiness

I bought a calendar the other day.  Yes, I realize it's almost September, but after the wind blew the zillion different paper schedules off the fridge for the 12th time in a week, I decided consolidating schedules was necessary.  That and I want to start writing down my workouts.  Kinda like a gold star visual aid.  And I've decided I want to do each level of the 30 Day Shred 10 times and I want to complete it by the end of October.  Since I can't remember what day it is more often than not, there is no way I'm going to be able to keep track of how many times I have done each level.  Short story long, a calendar was needed.  So, I got a fancy dry erase calendar and wrote down the recent workouts, all of Alex's remaining field trips, and our known plans.  Good good.

Yesterday, I woke up with a slight panic that Alex had a field trip requiring me to pack a lunch.  To the trusty calendar!  My heart settled upon seeing that field trip was the next day so I had time to get the grocery shopping done that would include stuff for a proper bag lunch.  But then I noticed my faithful calendar said that yesterday was the 25th and I swore Monday was the 25th.  So I checked my phone and sure enough, it was the 26th.  So what gives?  Yeeeeahhhhh, I bought me a 2015 calendar.  Awesome.  So now I had to get the boys to day care, get to the grocery store, make his lunch, and have said lunch back at daycare by 8:15.  It was 7:45 when I realized my calendar error.

I got Sam all settled in his room and then took Alex to his room and asked what he wanted in his lunch.  PB&J, cucumbers, red pepper, and a juice box.  I had the stuff for the PB&J and I had a cucumber, although I had no clue if that cucumber was in any sort of edible state.  I didn't think I had a red pepper and I was positive Alex had consumed all of the juice boxes we had.  I knew this because every single day he asks if he can have one so he can have the "breathing tube" from it.  Now, the common man would call that a straw, but potato potahto.

Since I was on a tight time table, I had to go to the smallish grocery store close to our house.  The Piggly Wiggly.  I don't frequent this store as it is way more expensive than the giant store we normally go to, and the selection is quite limited.  But it works in a pinch and a pinch I was in.  I speed walked in and headed straight to the produce section.  No red peppers.  Only English cucumbers.  I could make do with the English cucumber since I was planning on peeling it and cutting it into sticks any way.  But the no red pepper was cause for alarm.  Then I saw a man stocking the bagged lettuce mix and figured I could ask if maybe possibly there were any peppers in the back that just hadn't hit the shelves yet.  I couldn't tell if the lettuce stocking dude worked for the grocery store or for the bagged lettuce company, so my intention was to first ask him if he worked at the store.  But what came out of my mouth was, "Hey...are you a Piggly person?"

...

Are you a Piggly person.  What.  I actually spoke those words to an adult.

After a painful pause during which I could feel my facial expression go directly to "I give up," he informed me that yes, he did work there.  Apparently the produce delivery was late that morning, but the very nice man directed me to the organic section that had some red peppers.  Crisis embarrassingly averted.

Oh!  And when I got home, I found a red pepper in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment