Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Think Before You Speak

Every morning, I close all of the windows in the house before I leave.  If I don't do this, we will not have a dog upon arriving home.  Screens are nothing but a slight annoyance on her way outside to figure out where her humans have gone.  And even though she is an exhausting mutt, I love her and don't want her roaming the city, dodging cars.  

Anyway, I bring this up because as long as the weather permits, I go through the house opening the windows as soon as we get home.  There is a window over Alex's bed and since I'm such a good mom, his mattress is still on the floor and opening the window requires me to step on his bed.  But, I'm not a total jerk, so I take off my shoes before stepping on his bed.

A couple hours after we were home last night, Alex went in his room and immediately I heard a very accusatory, "Ugh...Mom!"  He came out of his room and one by one, tossed my flip flops into the middle of kitchen while lecturing me about the fact that I left my shoes in his room and don't I know that is not where my shoes go.  

I let him finish, and before he could stomp his sassy little ass back into his room, I informed him that he is by no means and under no circumstances allowed to talk to me like that.  And then I made him stand in the kitchen, look around, and report to me each and every one of his things that were strewn about the house, most definitely not where they belong.  His things that I pick up time and time again, so maybe just maybe he wants to take a good look at who takes care of things around here before he starts in on me about my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment