Friday, July 26, 2013

Lightly

I'm having a bit of a hard time in the Stable Brains department this week.  I can't seem to get my bearings.  The amount of worry Alex's school and daycare situation is causing me is teetering on overwhelming.  Overwhelming to that good ol' point of me being frozen in place, terrified.  

The pit of anxiety was churning up a good storm in my stomach this morning and then I came across this little gem Mariah posted.  Thanks MFly, I needed this today.
"it’s dark because you are trying too hard.
lightly child, lightly. learn to do everything lightly.
yes, feel lightly even though you’re feeling deeply.
just lightly let things happen and lightly cope with them.

I was so preposterously serious in those days, such a humorless little prig.
lightly, lightly – it’s the best advice ever given me.
when it comes to dying even. nothing ponderous, or portentous, or emphatic.
no rhetoric, no tremolos,
no self conscious persona putting on its celebrated imitation of christ or little nell.
and of course, no theology, no metaphysics.
just the fact of dying and the fact of the clear light.

so throw away your baggage and go forward.
there are quicksands all about you, sucking at your feet,
trying to suck you down into fear and self-pity and despair.
that’s why you must walk so lightly.
lightly my darling,
on tiptoes and no luggage,
not even a sponge bag,
completely unencumbered."
-aldous huxley | island

New mantra:  Lightly child, lightly.

1 comment:

  1. excellent!! I have read Huxley, but somehow missed this fundamental RULE. It is now pinned to my wall ... in every room. Thanks, Mariah!!

    ReplyDelete